Sunday 4 May 2008

Polish Alphabet - Polski Alfabet

Looking around the Interweb for some helpful stuff for a Polish exam (an exam in Polish! my first - I feel validated!), I came across a really excellent resource for anybody interested in Polish and Poland, PolishForums.com. It has a tagline 'Poland for Expats and Tourists', which sounds awful, but in fact it's quite brilliant and some very fine people have kindly spent time writing informatively about Polish culture, geography, romance, history, film, literature - and of course you can just join in and ask a question if you don't find what you want here. My interest was language and there's lots here; I skipped lightly over 'sexual phrases in Polish' (!) and found a wonderful resource at Practice Your Polish/Polish Lessons Units - a whole series of videos introducing the Polish alphabet and pronunciation (the one I include here, Polish Lessons Unit 1, is also on YouTube):

Great vid, Janusz!

5 comments:

  1. Czesc, Bilus.
    Przeczytalam twoj blog, bardzo ladny i przydatny, dzieki :) Ja tez ucze sie polskiego (jestem na pierwszym roku) i mam za 2 tydzien egzamin... wiec chce pytac jesli masz tez tablice czasownikow ruchu :)

    (so i'm not really sure that makes sense, here's the english version as well: very nice blog, very useful, thanks! since i have an exam in polish in 2 weeks time, i was wondering whether you also have something about the movement verbs, which i find the nastiest of them all, and i could use some help, if possible...:) thanks a lot)! and good luck with your test, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nawzajem, Sam - your Polish is just great! Year one - wow, I'm really impressed!!

    I'll try make some sense of the movement verbs - although I'm not sure which part is most difficult for you, so I'll just go ahead and do what I think: and if it ain't the thang, feedback please! I really value your comments :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dziekuje za odpowiedz :)
    about the movement verbs... basically i know they come in pairs like isc - pojsc - chodzic, jechac - pojechac - jezdzic, i'm not sure about the contexts of use, and things get complicated with verbs like przyjsc/przejsc,wyjechac/wyjezdzac, i never seem to get them right, like which direction they indicate, when to use the perfective and when the imperfective. that's my confusion in a nutshell :) i'll be back to read some more, thanks again and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sam,

    See latest posting, 'verbs of motion' - I don't feel like I've really answered your query, too simplistic? However, perhaps if you take the table and add to it, or make suggestions for how it can be improved, we might build the ultimate verbs of motion machine!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.